Sunday, February 26, 2012

This week


Last Saturday I made a commitment to reduce all white flour, sugar, sugar substitutes and caffeine. I think I was a little ambitious when I made this decision to cut all these things out immediately starting on Monday. I would have loved to report that I have the self control to cut everything out cold turkey, but I'm such a sugar-hollic I have to give myself a break. Therefore, this week turned into the week where I focused on cutting out sugar substitutes and caffeine. Moderation in all things, right? That's how we make lasting lifestyle changes and not fad diet choices. I'm in this for the long haul! As I enter into my 5th day this week I can proudly say that I have not had any sugar substitutes or caffeine this week. Who would have thought I could have made it a whole week without any ZipFizz. I am very proud of myself! Has it been hard? YES! Do I feel better? Not yet. I've been SO exhausted this week, but I wouldn't let myself cave. I know that there is a time period where my body has to detox before I feel the immediate benefits. Exercise did suffer this week. Usually I get my workout energy from ZipFizz and it allows me to have a great run or a great BodyPump, step or spin class. But this week I was so tired and so week that I didn't get much exercise in. I did fit in walking or at least moving for 30 minutes a day, taking the stairs, etc. but I feel flabby and fat from not getting my butt kicked in class or on the treadmill. There are those negative thoughts again, I've got to learn to be nice to myself. I'm committing to workout next week, even if I'm exhausted. I gotta push through. You see I have this fine line though, I have to listen to my body to not overdo it, but then I also have to push myself otherwise I'll always be too tired. Exercise helps me feel better, but depending on the day it can be detrimental because sometimes my body can't recover. Therefore, I'm still trying to figure out when it's ok to push and when I have to just back off and listen. Either way, I feel confident that giving up caffeine and sugar substitutes will help me feel better and be healthier in the long run, even if my exercise schedule suffers for a few weeks in the meantime while my body adapts. 

Sugar and white flours are next week. Since we had chocolate cake left over from Valentines day and I've had an emotion/hormonal week, I just couldn't resist the chocolate. Partner that with my lack of exercise this week and no wonder I notice some extra flab. It's not like this cake was exactly low calorie. I'd post the recipe but it goes against everything I stand for. It has real caramel in the middle layer and heavy whipping cream in the ganache. It was heaven! Only once a year will I do this for my husband because  I love him so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment